We get excited and make things — together.
Our club is for children aged 6 to 15 and their parents. Meetings have been happening every month since January 2014 on the second Wednesday of every month from 6:30 to 9pm.
Quick Details (additional details below):
- We meet the second Wednesday of every month.
- We design for adventurous children aged 6 and up with an ideal age of about 9-12.
- Our meetings are from 6:30-9pm with setup at 6:30, projects at 6:45 and cleanup starting at 8:15pm.
- The cost is $10/month/child and quarterly and annual memberships are available.
- Parents are required to stay and participate. We need a ratio of 1 adult per 2 kids minimum, with 1:1 being preferred for kids aged 7 and younger.
- Kids are encourged to bring their own toolkit.
If you’re interested in being notified about future meetings please contact us here.
In general our goal is to explore creativity using tools that children often do not get to play with. We’ll use saws, glue guns, hammers and soldering irons to make something interesting each month and teach our kids how to work with these tools safely and respectfully.
It is expected that families will provide their own tools so that the creativity, learning and most importantly practice can continue throughout the year. A minimum required list of tools can be found on the ToolBox page but of course you can add anything else you want to your kit! Most of these tools can be found for under $5 each at surplus or dollar stores around the region.
While we’re creating we’ll explore the Maker ethic of Repair, Repurpose and Reuse. Some of our source parts will be new (such as LEDs, resistors or batteries), but often we’ll be trying to exploit the recycling bin while teaching kids how to fix (or repurpose) their own broken toys.
The cost is $10/night/child with discounts for buying a membership that is either 3 or 12 months long. This fee covers many of the materials we’ll need each month as well as our space and the logistical support provided by THEMUSEUM.
Most importantly we get excited and make things together.